Some Firsts at One World Day this Sunday
For Immediate Release
August 18, 2015
Cleveland, OH – Since 1945 the Cleveland Cultural Gardens Federation (CCGF) has celebrated One World Day exemplifying the theme of the Gardens: “Peace through Mutual Understanding.” Though Sunday August 23, 2015 will be the 70th annual One World Day in the Cleveland Cultural Gardens it will be special because of many “Firsts.”
- For the first time, ALL the gardens will be featured on One World Day. Three complimentary trolleys will provide rides and a guided tour as people travel to different section of the Gardens – even the remote Chinese Garden.
- For the first time ever, the Irish American Club East Side and West Side Irish American Club Fife and Drum Corps units will play together in the Parade of Flags. The combined group of 100 literally brings East and West side together. They will be joined by marchers in traditional costumes representing dozens of countries in the annual Parade of Flags.
- For the first time, Cleveland’s legendary Slyman’s corned beef will be available outside the restaurant and in the Cleveland Cultural Gardens. Attendees can also enjoy a Frosted Malt from Weber’s Premium Ice Cream or treats from Rudy’s Strudel and Bakery or Cleveland Pickle or many more ethnic and specialty foods.
- For the first time, the Honorable Solomon Oliver, Jr. Chief Judge United States District Court Northern District of Ohio will preside over a Naturalization Ceremony which will feature 25 people from countries such as Albania, Azerbaijan, Bhutan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Canada, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, India, Macedonia, Nigeria, Philippines, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Togo, Turkey and Ukraine taking the Oath of Citizenship.
- For the first time, Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson, County Executive Armond Budish, Councilman Kevin Conwell and others will join with the Cleveland Cultural Gardens Federation (CCGF) in kicking off the Centennial Year of the Gardens. The first Garden was established in 1916 so the CCGF, City of Cleveland and the community will have a year-long celebration planned.
- For the first time, world-renown concert pianist Stanislav Khristenko will perform on a 9 foot grand piano in the Russian Garden. The 3 main stages will also feature Moises Borges and Brazilian Jazz quintet with Grammy award winning trumpeter Kenny Davis, Jasmine Dragon Aerial silk arts and break dancing, Ukrainian opera, Samba workshops and dozens of other ethnic performers.
- For the first time, all the gardens will participate in the Passport program for kids of all ages. The free Passport is taken to a Garden where an activity is performed and then stamped, just like a real passport.
- For the first time, the free One World Day program is an 80 page collector’s edition booklet that includes a map, history of the Gardens and more.
- For the first time Cleveland Metroparks will be involved and helping to provide free parking.
And much more!
About the Cleveland Cultural Gardens and One World Day
The Cleveland Cultural Gardens consist of 29 nationality gardens along East Blvd and MLK Blvd with several more in the planning and development stages. One World Day on August 23 is the official annual celebration of the Gardens. 11AM-8:30 PM. Free admission and free parking.